Me

Me
Im Jeffrey Jones from York, SC and I love music and sleeping and eating. I am a Biology major and plan to be a pediatric oncologist.

Monday, October 21, 2019

Mystery Of My Great Grandpa Solved

For several years my great grandfather has been a mystery. My family has discussed him several times but I never even knew his name. Over fall break I went home and talked to my grandpa about
his father and discovered my ancestor for the first time. My great grandpa's name was George Dargain Wyatt and he was born February 26 1910. He grew up in a small rural town of Hickory Grove South Carolina and graduated high school there as well. As a young man Wyatt
lived around battle fields in World War One.

My Great grandpa and his
cousin and 2 of his sisters in 1986
My Great Grandpa and Great
Grandma 
 He fought and returned to Hickory Grove where he was married his girlfriend since the age of six my great grandma Vera Alma Dover. He had 12 kids and was married at 22. He worked in a bleachery for all of his life and my grandpa said he complained every single day before and after work and when he retired he still complained about it. While working at the bleachery provided an honest living my grandpa lived during prohibition and him and his brother Gat ran a large moonshining business as well. He died February second 1992 and is buried at Canaan United Methodist cemetery under a die on  base.

 My great aunt told me the story of how she bought her first coat because of this. "It all started when i first found out about the business," she started. "I would go in the building every time they started to make the moonshine and every single time they paid me a dime to leave. I saved up and bought my first jacket." This story like all of the others i found sort of funny
My Great Grandma and Grandpa
in 1966
there was never a sad story about Grandpa Wyatt. Another my grandpa told me was when he came home from Vietnam and got back to their house his whole family had moved and didn't leave a note or call or anything.

Grandpa Wyatt was a large man in the community around Hickory Grove as well he helped build several houses that are still standing today and built the first gas station in Hickory grove. He also had a bull which was the meanest in the upstate or at least that's what everyone has told me. My grandpa and great grandpa went fishing one time in my grandpas brand new truck and the bull rammed the door and tailgate off. He also chased my great grandpa up a tree and grunted at him everyday when he got off work. My great grandpa was a great man and did many things for the community and even made moonshine. I am glad I got the chance to talk to my grandpa about his dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment